Sunday, April 15, 2012

Imeldific! The Imelda Marcos Shoe Collection

msnbc.msn.com

Imelda Marcos and her imeldific shoe collection.


If you can't get enough of her quotable quotes (here are some quotes for our amusement taken from the thewilyfilipino.com):

"I'm like Robin Hood. I rob the rich to make these projects come alive... not really rob. It's done with a smile." -- in Fortune, 1979

"People say I'm extravagant because I want to be surrounded by beauty. But tell me, who wants to be surrounded by garbage? Beauty is love made real and the spirit of love is God. Only a crazy man wants to be surrounded by garbage, and I'm not crazy just yet."

"I hate ugliness. You know I'm allergic to ugliness." -- quoted in the Philippine Daily Inquirer, August 1999

"God is love. I have loved. Therefore, I will go to heaven." - to Pope Paul VI, who responded, "Oh, how wonderful, how childlike."

"I am my little people's star and slave. When I go out into the barrios, I get dressed because I know my little people want to see a star. Other presidents' wives have gone to the barrios wearing house dresses and slippers. That's not what people want to see. People want someone they can love, someone to set an example." -- from the Los Angeles Times, October 1980

According to the PCIJ Blog "Imelda and Her Shoes," posted last November 8, 2006 (click here to read more) there are about 1,220 pairs of shoes in Malacanang which were found out after the Marcoses fled the country in 1986. 200 pairs are now housed in Marikina's shoe museum. Her size? Eight and a half. Brands ranging from Ferragamo, Givenchy, Chanel and Christian Dior. I know most female yuppies buy pairs of shoes, would go to Singapore or send in money to get hold of these branded pairs.

In the interview are two of unforgettable quotes again:

“When they went to my closet, they found no skeletons, only shoes. The more they dig, the more beauty they will discover, beautiful jewels of the world.”

“Mass follows class, class never follows mass.”

According to Wiktionary, Imelda Marcos herself coined the term "imeldific," which means ostentatiously extravagant.

With 1,220 pairs of shoes, who would not say that this is not imeldific?

How much does the cost of all these shoes? How did she get it? Did she ever make use of public funds to acquire these expensive shoes? 

This is one of the Secrets and Scandals in once 7107 Islands, Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment